Researchers at Coveware recently analyzed ransomware attacks during Q2 of this year and noticed a similar trend in ransomware attack methods by cybercriminals.
These are the two ransomware attack methods that are gaining popularity by ransomware gangs:
- Email Phishing Attacks – The most common form of a cyberattack. Cybercriminals are including a malicious attachment in the phishing emails that contain ransomware. Coveware reported that this method has been prevalent in 42% of known ransomware attacks.
- Brute Force Attacks – This type of attack specifically focuses on remote desktop protocol services (RDP). They brute force weak or default usernames and passwords to gain access. This type of attack is also accounting for 42% of known ransomware attacks.
Cybercriminals gravitate to these methods because they are low-cost to carry out while also being effective. They’re also very simple to execute and, if successful, can open doors to your whole network.
Ransomware groups have only gotten stronger with REvil being responsible for the infamous Kaseya hack and Conti against the Irish healthcare system. There are new ransomware groups that will come through the shadows in the near future and will be even more powerful than these well-known ransomware groups.
To help protect your organization’s network you can take additional security measures such as multi-factor authentication, frequent software updates and patches, and most importantly, implement new-school security awareness training. Your users are the essential layer of protection to stop malicious attacks from ever occurring!
ZDNet has the full story.
** Optrics Inc. is an Authorized KnowBe4 partner
Free Phishing Security Test
Would your users fall for convincing phishing attacks? Take the first step now and find out before the bad guys do. Plus, see how you stack up against your peers with phishing Industry Benchmarks. The Phish-prone percentage is usually higher than you expect and is great ammo to get budget.
- Immediately start your test for up to 100 users (no need to talk to anyone)
- Select from 20+ languages and customize the phishing test template based on your environment
- Choose the landing page your users see after they click
- Show users which red flags they missed, or a 404 page
- Get a PDF emailed to you in 24 hours with your Phish-prone % and charts to share with management
- See how your organization compares to others in your industry
Find out how affordable new-school security awareness training is for your organization. Get a quote now.
The original article can be found here: